Meet the diving bell spider. This aquatic arachnid can be found in shallow waters across Europe and northern Asia. It’s essentially the only spider that has a scuba certification. By weaving silk webs between underwater vegetation, this spider creates air bubbles that vary in size. Some will encompass the whole spider, while others only cover the central body.

Being a scuba-diving spider is no easy task, however, although I’m sure transporting air bubbles from the surface to fill its underwater bubble chambers is like any nine to five. You learn to live with the fact that it keeps a roof over your head, or air in your bubbles in the spider’s case.

The spider stays under water for about 20-40 minutes at a time before resurfacing. After scientists in northern Germany conducted tests on these spiders, they found that the spiders could stay underwater for a whole day in one of their bubbles. A day in the bubble causes it to shrink because the spider is consuming the oxygen and the carbon dioxide slowly dissolves into the surrounding water. The nitrogen then must increase to compensate for the oxygen depletion.

Other tests show that the bubbles act like a physical gill to other forms of marine life. But the oxygen that the spider breathes amounts to 70% of the bubble, leaving 30% of oxygen for other fish. But the spider can make its air last, which helps it hunt and keeps it from frequently surfacing, whereby revealing itself to predators. Sometimes the air goes fast, however, because spiders get it on in these bubbles. I wonder if the male or female goes and gets another bubble after the love making. I got my money on the males. Know more.